Sunday, May 19, 2013
Fearless Host, Brother Bags (20 X 16)
Big Pine by the Pond (24 X 18)
First Sunrise (12 X 24)
Second Sunrise (12 X 24)
By the Boathouse (16 X 20)
Monday, April 8, 2013
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Friday, November 30, 2012
Thursday, October 4, 2012
Q Street Bridge from Northside (20 X 16)
Rock Creek Reflects (20 X 16)
Rock Creek Reflects (40 X 30)
Shad Dreams Under Q St. Bridge (36 X 48)
Kirby in Red, Blue, and Brown (40" X 30")
Rock Creek Limited Palette #1 (18" X 24", oil on paper)
Rock Creek Limited Palette #2 (24 X 18", oil on paper)
Rock Creek Limited Palette #3 (24 X 18", oil on paper)
This series started as a warm-up sketch with a limited palette of white, burnt umber, and ultramarine blue. On the first two I couldn't resist throwing in some burnt sienna as an afterthought. The third is pure. The technique is inspired by Van Gogh's approach to drawing.
Rock Creek from Q Street Bridge (16 X 20)
Under Mass Ave Bridge (20 X 16")
Railroad Bridge #4 (12" X 24")
Part of an ongoing, but slowly unfurling series down at the West Potomac Park at Haines Point.
Children at High Tide (30" X 40")
I took almost two years off from painting from photos, but I'm back at peace with the concept. This is painted from a 3x5 snapshot taken of my niece and nephew at the beach.
Monday, August 6, 2012
Awaiting Irene (12" X 24") I painted this onsite last August and adjusted in my studio this summer.
Earthly Separations #2 (24" X 48") This was also painted last summer, but I brightened it up with candy store colors in the studio today. It was very somber, the red gash in its gut the only bright spot.
Big Northern Hourglass (40" X 60" diptych)
Northern Hourglass (24" X 36") Painted onsite as a study for larger diptych for our dining room here in Keene Valley, NY, replacing the big painting now stored in the attic.
Stone Family on the Brook (11" X 14"), painted alongside my nephew's study of the same subject. It's been a summer of plein-aire painting in the North Country. In particular, I've been roaming the Adirondacks of New York State, the French River and Georgian Bay of Ontario, and the St. Lawrence Valley above Quebec City. Sorry for the delay in updating the blog with the new work and sorry that the labels on the vertical pieces are poorly formatted. Many of these pieces are hung at the Corscaden Barn in Keene Valley, NY, where the opening reception is Thursday, August 11 from 5 to 7pm. Come!!
Afternoon View (18" X 24") Sold. A view over the St. Lawrence of Isle aux Coudres, south of La Malbaie.
June Wind (24" X 36") Sold.
Midriver Revelry (18" X 24"). Painted on the French River, Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, Ontario.
Morning View (18" X 24"). An earlier view of Isle aux Coudres (Hazelnut Trees) with cleaner, cooler morning light. The Afternoon View is hazier and warmer.
Northern Muses (11" X 14") Traded. With Tom Thomson looking over my shoulder on the French River. I'd finally seen my first Thomsons in the flesh two days before at the Art Gallery of Ontario (a Frank Gehry building in Toronto) and at the McMichaels Collection just north of Toronto. Well worth the journey. Eventually Tommy stopped breathing over my shoulder and I started painting like myself again.
Untitled (20" X 30") My first Adirondack painting of the summer, whilst searching for a theme for the big empty space in the dining room.
September Song (24" X 48") Traded. Painted immediately after Irene on site, I brightened this up in the studio this summer. It was very dark before.
Sunshafts and Trees (18" X 24"). Painted in a driving headwind up the Saguenay River Fjord, with ten beluga whales gathered right out there in the ways and sunshine.
Sunshaft, Rainshaft (24" X 30") Sold. Painted on the St. Lawrence at San Siméon, way above Quebec City, looking out toward the Gaspé Peninsula. There's a massive tanker in the rainshaft.
Wall and Clouds (24" X 30"). An 800 ft granite wall which, if it were more accessible, would be covered in climbers every wkend. The last of my Canadian series.
Current and Upcoming Shows
- Foundry Gallery. Solo Show. January 2014. Washington, DC. Opening January 3, 2014, 6-8pm.
- Corscaden Barn of Art. Group Show. Keene Valley, NY. Aug 2013. Opening TBD.
- High Peaks Artists. Keene Valley, NY. Aug 2013. Opening TBD.
- Christ Church Georgetown. April 26-28. Opening Reception Fri, 4/26, 5-8pm.
- Foundry Gallery. Member Show. April 2013.
- Octavia Gallery. Solo Show. March 2013. Reception is Saturday, March 2. 4532 Magazine Street in New Orleans. www.octaviaartgallery.com
- Georgetown Artists at House of Sweden. Feb. 7-10. 2900 K Street NW by the Waterfront. 11am-5pm, with opening reception 6-9pm on Thurs, Feb 7. www.cagtown.org
- Foundry Gallery. Solo Show. January 2013. Washington, DC. Opening January 4, 2013, 6-8pm.
- University of California in Washington, D.C. (UCDC). Two-person show with Montana Debor. Opening party November 15, 6:30-8pm. Closes approx Jan 1. 1608 Rhode Island Ave, NW. On the Dupont side of Scott Circle.
In the News
- Edward Bear Miller
- I am a twenty-first century painter engaged in an old, earthy struggle to affirm the fundamental experience of being alive. The art world’s infatuation with novelty and cleverness impresses me less than strong, soulful, timeless creations. Feet planted in the tradition of plein-air realism, I’m reaching for the mystical energies that inflamed the work of Dove, Carr, Hartley, Marin, and Bischoff. In my work, the paint exercises corporal presence while describing a figurative and emotional world on the picture plane. Sustained immersion in my visions yields thick, flowing, gestural brushwork. I paint in places that resonate with my own story, exploring my preferred archetypes of mountains, rivers, boats, bridges, friends, nude swimmers, clouds, fish, and trees populating wild and industrial contexts. Born and raised in the District of Columbia, I ventured far and wide before returning to DC in 2004. I am represented by the Foundry Gallery in DC, Octavia Gallery in New Orleans, and the Corscaden Barn of Art in Keene Valley, NY.
Price List by Size
10 X 10”: $500
9 X 12”: $500
11 X 14”: $700
10 X 20": $900
12 X 24”: $1000
16 X 20”: $1100
20 X 20”: $1200
18 X 24”: $1400
22 X 28”: $1800
24 X 30”: $2100
24 X 36”: $2300
15 X 60”: $2400
30 X 40”: $2800
24 X 48”: $2800
36 X 48”: $3700
18 X 108”: $4300
24 X 108”: $5600
30 X 108”: $6600
48 X 72”: $6900
Friends and Artists
- ▼ 2013 (4)
- ► 2012 (9)
- ► 2011 (18)
- ► 2010 (21)